A die is a specialized tool used in manufacturing industries to cut or shape material
using a Power press. Like molds, dies are generally customized to the item they are used to
create. Products made with dies range from simple paper clips to complex pieces used in
A Die set is manufactured by using plates and blocks of steel and hard material like high
carbon steel which includes WPS, OHNS etc.
A Die set consists of following components:
• Top Plate - This plate is used at the top of the Die set which is attached to punch
• Punch Plate - This plate holds the punch of the die.
• Punch - This is attached to punch plate and this is customized as per required
• Bearing Plate/Guide plate - As name suggests, it is used to guide the punch. It is
attached to the top surface of die plate.
• Die Plate - This plate holds the workpiece on which operation is to be done. It is also
customized as per product shape.
• Bottom Plate - This plate remains at the bottom of a die set, it is attached to the die
All the above components goes under proper machining using machines like Milling
machine, Lathe Machine, Wire cut machine etc for making their surface parallel and
perpendicular. Then their surfaces are grounded using Surface Grinder machine to get
smooth surface. After grinding is done marking of slots and holes on the plates are done
by the die maker and according to that markings holes and slots are made on Milling
machine and Drilling machine as per requirement. Then fitting of all plates and punches
are done and die is now ready for trial purpose.
After a successful trial of a Die set, now it is ready to be dispatched.